Someone I love has started college.
I
am very proud of this person.
Today was this person's first
day.
It should have just been a nice celebration of 'first
day of school' pictures.
But then someone in the comments had
to post a list of
THINGS TO TELL YOUR DAUGHTER FOR THEIR
SAFETY
And I'm just.....ughh.
Look.
I know they
meant well. I know they want this person to be safe and they want
this person to have a happy college experience.
I certainly
want that too.
But two things kind of hit me at once about the
situation.
The first was that it sucks that we can't go ONE
DAY without reminding someone that just because they exist in a
certain body, they have to carry an extra burden around when it
concerns their own safety.
As I have said before and will
continue to say, no one ASKS to be born into the bodies we're born
into. The fact that suddenly ALL THE SPECIAL RULES hit is just so
frustrating.
But beyond that?
Look. It's roughly one
in 1:3. As a person in a femme-presenting body, you have a 1:3 chance
of being attacked.
So basically?
Yeah. You can opt not to
get into people's cars and you can guard your drinks and bring extra
cutlery and keep your keys between your fingers and not take that
class because it lets out too late and not take that shift because no
one will walk you to your car or not jog or not wear this or not wear
that or not do anything or do everything or any of it.
But at
the end of the day? It doesn't matter.
People are assaulted
because they are within the proximity of a person who CHOOSES to
assault them. This act that could alter so much about how you view
yourself and view the world boils down to the fact that someone else
decided. And you can fight them, bite them, scream at them, do
anything you can to stop it, but they still made that choice. And you
still have to deal with it.
I wish this person I love wisdom.
I wish her speed and agility. I wish her strength and cunning,
sharpness and ferocity.
But mostly? I wish that the people
around her who have the option to choose harm or not choose harm, opt
to do nothing at all, as doing nothing is easy and often the best
path when it comes to others.
“All the world will be your
enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you,
they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener,
runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks
and your people shall never be destroyed.”
No comments:
Post a Comment