Friday, August 14, 2026

The Self in Parts

 When people talk about dissociation, we often assume they just mean a separation between mind and body. I think for a lot of people, it's deeper than that. It certainly is for me.

I tend to view myself in four parts.

  1. There is ME. The mind, the humor, the creativity. The weird stories, the love for my friends and obsessions. The favorites and the opinions and the theories. That's who I really am.

  2. There is The Factory-Damaged Interactive Interfacing Unit.....my body. The thing I use to interface with the world that doesn't function the way it should. It often hurts. It grows weird stuff. It gets sick and snotty and it needs so much maintaining. It constantly makes demands for sleep or food or relief of some kind, and it annoys me because it keeps me from doing the stuff I actually want to do.

Now, understand, in my mind, these two aspects do not really connect. They're not the same thing. They're just unfortunately tied together.

  1. There is Non-consensual Issued Labeling of The Factory-Damaged Interactive Interfacing Unit.....all the crap I have to deal with that I never asked for that is associated with bodies. Perceived gender, race, ethnic group, culture, where we're born, who we're born to, how much money we're born with, etc.

If I had my way, we could opt out of all of this because no one asked for any of it. It's all just dice rolls, and whatever you get, you suddenly have to deal with through no fault of your own. It's stupid.

It's also frustrating and rather exhausting that I have been harmed by others and almost killed by my body due to these arbitrary factors rather than anything I actually did.

  1. Finally, there is the microbiome.....who can be difficult, but I like those guys. As much as my body annoys me in general, I do adore the other creatures that inhabit it. I do not see them as part of me either, but more like billions of neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment