Saturday, September 23, 2023

Parental Slavery

I've been watching a lot of stuff over Jill Duggar's new book. I'm not surprised by how abusive her father was, though I am shocked at some of the ways it manifested. 

Apparently one of the principles of Gothard's teachings is that fathers should be self-employed and then hire their sons to work for them, that way they maintain more control over their adult children. In the case of the Duggars, this extended to the daughters as well, given that they had the TV show and the daughters were the more popular people on it.

Controlling the finances of people is classic abusive behavior. I was expecting the shaming and the yelling and  the manipulation, but I didn't realize how much the money would come into play here. I should have. 

I'm glad people are starting to talk about how evil this whole thing has been. I really hope at some point, TLC is held responsible as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment