Friday, January 8, 2021

The Void

I have no problem with people owning guns. I've lived in the country. I've lived in dangerous areas. I understand why guns can be useful tools to keep you safe. 

However..........

We need to separate gun-ownership from gun-obsession. And I don't mean 'we' as the government. I mean 'we' as people who recognize what is mentally sound and what is not. Watching what you eat can be a very stable and healthy thing. Obsessing about your weight can get dangerous. 

Actually, a better example here is shopping. Shopping is something we all need to do. It's a basic and fundamental task. It can, however, become an addiction. You can find yourself buying and buying and buying as your house fills with boxes and goods and new things. 

You think the New THINGS will make your life better. You think they will fill the void. But they don't. Buying things to try and fix your life (instead of buying things to just address a problem) isn't going to make things better.

If you purchase a gun, you need to ask yourself some questions. Is there a task this gun will perform? Do I already have something else performing that task? Is this to make me feel better? Is it to make me feel more like a (fill in the blank)? Is it to make more feel more included? Is it to make me feel safer, even though I already have many things that should make me feel safe?

Is it just to make me feel? 

THINGS are not going to fill the void. THINGS are not going to make you OKAY. THINGS are not going to make you happy. 

We each have a responsibility to really analyze the stuff we're consuming. Not just the food and drink, but also the media, the words, the images. We need to think about if this stuff is telling us the truth or just manipulating us into certain patterns of behavior. 

There are industries out there that want you to feel insecure and broken because it makes it that much easier to sell you their stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment