Tuesday, September 20, 2022

LIke Your Blood Knows the Way

I was watching Mason Alexander Park perform "The Origin of Love" from the Hedwig soundtrack and they talked about how when they first heard this song, it really fundamentally helped them to understand the path they needed to take to pursue life and art. 

The performance was powerful, one of those performances where you understood the singer really FELT every moment of the song. The songs from Hedwig lend themselves to that. 

After I watched them, I put "Midnight Radio" on loop and just let it wash over me, which is, of course, what the song is about. Music connects us to something deeper, deeper within ourselves and deeper within the scope of everything. It is powerful and sometimes I think we forget how powerful it can be. 

Whenever I meet people who have really lost the plot to life, not the ones who are depressed or sad, but the ones who are hateful and devoid of joy, almost in every case, they've walked away from what music can give them. They've divorced themselves from its power. And usually they've given themselves over to something really destructive. 

I'm probably only alive because of music. In my darker moments of the courtship with suicide, it's always been music that pulled me away. I think we'd all be better off if we sang more often. It doesn't matter if you sing well. Sing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment