Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Impulses

Today was an interesting exploration of 'my brain is telling me one thing but my body is telling me another.' We went into the city for the first time in a long while.

This is how the situation used to be for me. I don't LIKE going into the city, even though, objectively, it's a very small city. The traffic makes me nervous and the trip overall used to cause me a great deal of pain. The compensation for this was that I would get to eat something fun. There are places not in my town where I could get food. 

So on the way there, my brain starts babbling about possibilities. Places we could go to eat. Things we could get that we've not had in a long time. Ask him to stop there. Ask him to stop here. Get one of these. Suggest dessert. Suggest bringing things home. Suggest stopping at two places.

But my body was....fine. I'd eaten breakfast around 11 and it was only around 2 when we got there. I had water to drink. We went to the appointment we needed to do and then did some shopping. 

Finally, around three, I was actually starting to feel a little hungry. My brain went into OVERDRIVE with the suggestions. What about that food truck? What about THAT food truck? What about that place? Oh, candy shop. What about stopping here? Maybe suggest we bring something home.

But my body...while somewhat hungry, was reminding me that I don't eat like that anymore. If I ate more than what I know I can handle, I would be sick and uncomfortable all the way home. 

It was a really strange experience. I know that everything my brain wanted was just out of habit and out of boredom and as a way to console me because the traffic was still bad. It's just that I knew it wasn't going to work for me. Eating more than what I've become accustomed to would have caused all kinds of problems. 

So yes. There IS a mental part to this. There is certainly an emotional part to this. However, the fact that my body has finally gotten the hunger part of this sorted out, the mental and emotional parts can be shown reason. 

Oh and this isn't a matter of me having more discipline than I used to. I have no more discipline than I ever have. I just have a body that isn't jacked up and misreading itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment