Monday, November 12, 2018

Flipping the Flaw

The hat I'm working on now is variegated and I didn't really have anything I wanted to pair with it to break up the colors. with that in mind, I decided to add interest with design. I'm putting a couple of bands of purling to create some texture. It's something I'm seeing as a trend in hats this year.

The neat thing about this is the fact that it works because of a general design flaw. Most people purl at a different tension than they knit. Because of this, even keeping the same number of stitches per line looks like you added quite a few. I love this because it's a way to flip something that is often a struggle into an asset.

To me, this is an example of truly creative thinking. Is it a good idea to learn to work your tension the same for both? Of course it is. However, if there is an advantage to be found with the flaw, by all means, find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment