Sunday, July 21, 2019

Back to my Roots

I'm in a good mood tonight.  I spent my weekend reading a fantasy novel. It isn't that I don't read. I read all the time. It's just mostly nonfiction now. It's actually been quite a while since I read just for the pure pleasure of it.

I got the book because Tor offered it for free. At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like it because I kept seeing the influences. But then I started to really sink into the world and it's been awesome.

From about 4th grade on, fantasy was how I survived. I escaped whatever hell was going on in my life and lived in those. It sounds cliche, I know, but it's also true. At some point, I quit doing that and I really shouldn't have. The thing is, I've never stopped reading fantasy, but it seems that a lot of the stuff I've read as an adult (aside from Hodgell continuing her work) hasn't really made me have that same feeling I had as a kid. This book did.

So I'm thinking maybe the key to staving off the summer blues is to read more fantasy. I should just keep my head lost in another world for a while, invest my emotions into characters instead of feeling sorry for myself because of of.....well, all the stuff I'm always complaining about.

We'll see how that goes. For now, I'm just happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment