Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Fantasies in your 40s

A friend of mine is moving. One of her stipulations for doing this move is that she and her husband got one of those giant dumpsters and purged 85% of the stuff out of their house.

Now, anything useful or reusable will be donated or sold, but all the useless stuff built up over their time as a married couple will be sent away. They have agreed that only the most important elements will travel with them. The things they use on the daily, things they cannot live without, things that are truly, truly important.

So ever since then, I've been wondering what it would be like to purge that much of what I own. I don't exactly want to. Not really. I'm no minimalist. However, it is an interesting concept. There is something to be said for just having the smallest amount of stuff you can, especially when it comes to moving. In fact, my friend said the deciding factor on any item is always "do I want to carry this in a box to the new house?" She said she is amazed at how very few things she truly wishes to move.

On a kind of related note, I got most of my hair cut off today. It's joyous.

No comments:

Post a Comment