Thursday, September 17, 2020

Strange in Translation

 I am who I am. I'm not upset about the fact that I'm strange. I don't wear it as a badge of honor though. Wait, I might. I do have a necklace that says "Geek" on it......

Anyway, the thing about being strange is that sometimes people misunderstand you, even people you're close to. Sometimes they take you just being strange as you being serious and get freaked out by what you said. Other times, they misunderstand the very straightforward thing you just said and assume you said something weird because, well, because you're weird. 

Just as an example, my nephew thought I was telling him about a scifi movie/book that I love called "Dude." When I asked him, why, whywhywhy he would think I would love anything called "Dude" he just laughed and admitted he'd been wrong. But then again, he also knows I'm strange, so it just might BE within the range of possibility for me to love something called Dude. Who knows?

I'm not really complaining here. I'm not whining about no one understanding me. Plenty of people understand me.....sometimes better than I want them to. I'm just saying that when you're a strange person, you have to accept that sometimes communication breaks down and it might be best to offer some clarification. Other times, meh, it's fine. Just keep them guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment