Thursday, March 18, 2021

Not Buying It

I had to force myself off of Facebook today because people keep spewing their hatred and insanity. All of the conservatives keep talking about cancel culture. I find this very funny, for two reasons.

1. Online, I have more liberal friends than conservative ones. None of my liberal friends have said anything about how they want Mr. Potatohead or Dr. Suess or whatever else canceled. And yet, basically, every single one of the conservatives has made post after post after post about this. It's their main focus at the moment. 

2. When I was a kid, people tried to cancel things all the time. They wanted to be rid of Dungeons and Dragons. They wanted to stop rap music. They wanted us to burn all of our fantasy books and destroy our rock albums. It was NOT the liberals doing this. It was the conservatives. 

So my takeaway here is this. There are, of course, some factions of liberalism who do feel certain aspects of culture are outdated and awful. They probably have spoken out against it. Do I think they're correct? Personally, no. I don't believe in censorship. I want to know where people stand. If someone is a bigot, I'd like to know so I can avoid them. If you don't want to look at a thing or support a thing, that is your right.

However, I will never ever ever ever ever ever EVER seen conservatives in America as the champions for a free and open society. Ever. That's just insane. They're only connected to this right now because it's something they can cling to. Given a chance to be back in power, they would begin to snuff out the lights of anything they don't agree with all over again. It's NEVER about freedom with them. It's about control.

No comments:

Post a Comment