Monday, May 17, 2021

Staring at the Sun

I've been reading Eldritcher's Song of Sunset, a JRRT fanfic series. It's amazing. This writer is so very good. Sometimes the stories don't quite square with one another, but that happens with any long-ranging fanfic. The links are broken to some of the larger pieces. I hope those get fixed because I want to read all of it.

It's a retelling of Maedhros and, while I have by no means exhausted all of the retellings out there, this one is beautiful and dark and deep and brilliant. A lot of the time, the pov characters are people around him, discussing how he is affecting their lives and the impact they had on him. Even after he dies, Artanis is still carrying on his work, so his influence is felt. 

In the last series of stories, one of them talks about the reason behind why he is often seen watching the sun. The reveal is so heartbreaking that I wept. Then I started listening to U2's "Staring at the Sun" over and over again, still reeling from the impact of what happened. THAT, oh my brothahs and sistahs, is damned good writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment