Tuesday, May 18, 2021

To Your Soul

Orville Peck covered "Smalltown Boy." It's a far more Western, far more cowboy version of the song. I love it. I love what it represents. Peck has a very passionate voice, even when he's still hamming up his country persona. I'm honestly glad he arrived on the scene, with his masked face, Grand Ole Opry aesthetic, and classy queerness. It's what we all needed. 

Case in point, of course, is the cover. "Smalltown Boy" has probably made me cry every time I've seen the video because it just cuts so deeply. The part where his dad won't shake his hand just rips me apart. The song could be any weird kid, any queer kid, any lost kid who needs to just get away from the strick and unyielding situation they're in. 

Peck captures the pain and loneliness of the song. He captures the despair of it and the strength of it. It's glorious and welcoming and understanting. It's the kind of cover that I think will reach people and help them, soothe them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment