Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Satisfaction

I used to write a lot about happiness and at some point, I stopped. Was it cancer? Maybe. It's been a long time. I still think a lot about happiness as an aspect of our existence and probably should write about it more often. 

I think one of the biggest barriers to happiness is how we're so socially trained (or maybe it's hardwiring, I'm not sure) to always want more of something. Once you achieve the THING YOU WANTED, suddenly you realize you need more things. And this isn't just about THINGS either. It can be about anything or anyone.

It's difficult for a lot of us to accept or believe that what we have (or who we are) is enough. We feel like there needs to be more, needs to be better, needs to be cleaner/brighter/more organized/more beautiful.....it becomes a nightmare of just trying to get things JUST RIGHT and in the midst of that struggle, we don't take the time to relish what we do have.

Today I made the decision that the row I'm working on now will be enough blanket for me. Some of the yarn I used on this was heavier or grouped together, causing the blanket to have a pretty good weight to it. Pretty good now, but more rows are going to make it rather difficult to manage. I'm going to be content with what this is and not nitpick it or keep trying to add to it. I have a tendency to overwork things when they really don't need it. Usually, that just ruins the integrity of what I'd made in the first place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment