Thursday, July 23, 2020

Deconstructing Life

Someone posted on FB today about how often what mental health therapists do is to help you find workarounds for your issues. The example they used was that if you feel too overwhelmed to make a sandwich, instead of not eating, just eat the components of the sandwich. Eat some lunch meat and some cheese. Maybe a piece of bread or a cracker. That way you don't have to let what is overwhelming you get in the way of maintaining a basic existence.

One of the big issues with mental health problems is that you can get very overwhelmed by steps. Even things that seem easy, almost automatic to normal-typical/functioning minds can be daunting to people with disabilities.

For example, going outside is daunting to me. In the last several years, I've had some falls while trying to navigate getting myself inside, falls that caused lasting damage.

So anytime I'm trying to get to the car (or someone else's car), have some pretty serious anxiety. If I let it, it could freeze me.

What I've done to try to combat this is do my best to ease all the steps around getting outside. My keys/purse/phone/shoes always stay in the same place. I mentally coach myself from one spot to the next.

I stop to sit before going outside, both to regain energy and to steady my growing nerves. I take some deep breaths, say a little prayer, then do my best to make it to the car.

And in this way, yes, it seems like I've made something most people take for granted into an overly complicated thing. I haven't though. I've created a gameplan to keep myself from freezing or going into a panic attack. I've taken steps to keep myself from complete agoraphobia. So far, it's working.

If your mental health is preventing you from doing some stuff you know you NEED to do, see how maybe you can either ease some steps of it or just simplify the process completely. It may help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment