Saturday, July 25, 2020

Goodnight, Lady

One of my favorite drag queens/trans women, Lady Red Couture, has passed. Even though she was only 43, she leaves behind a rich legacy of amazing shows, soulful music, good humor, and friendship. She will be deeply, deeply missed.

I first encountered Lady Red on Hey Qween where she was Jonny McGovern's cohost and muse. In real life, she was his best friend.

I think that part hurts the most. As someone who thrives in the banter/worldbuilding/love of best friendship, I can't even imagine what this is doing to Jonny. It's always been very clear that Lady Red was his favorite person in the whole wide world.....and now that person is gone.

I owe Lady Red a debt. When my cats died, one of the things I did to help myself grieve and process was to binge-watch Hey Qween. Lady Red helped me keep going at that very dark moment in my life. I will always be grateful to her and Jonny for that.

Rest well, Mother Couture. I hope your next journey is full of beauty, wit, and delicious meals. Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment