Wednesday, April 21, 2021

My Sweet Sam

My best friend's dog passed today.

The first time I met him, he was in her car. She'd come to pick me up and he rode down with her. She handed him over to me and introduced us. I held him and he leaned against me, embracing me into his life. I loved him instantly. 

He was a very sweet dog. He loved to be held and wanted lots of eye contact. When the doors were left open, he would watch out the glass door and give opinions to all who passed. He had quite a lot to say about the neighborhood. 

There were times when I felt very alone and Sam was there to ease that. He was a great source of strength to others. He offered a lot of comfort.

When Frankie was born, she came into a world with Sam already in it. She loved him with all her heart. She informed me that he was not only her best friend but her brother. Anytime she was sitting on my lap, she wanted Sam with us as well. 

When she and I would tell each other stories, she would always construct hers around Sam. "Sam ran away" or "Sam saved us from monsters" or "Sam decided to start talking." I love that kid like she's my own and I am so glad she had him in her life. What a gift he was to her. What an important part of her childhood.

This last year has been heartbreaking in so many ways, but one of the hardest parts for me has been the time I missed with my best friend and her family. It's been over a year since I was able to spend a long amount of time with her kids. It's been a long time since I was able to hold Sam. It hurts that I never will again.

Goodbye, Sam. You made my life a better life. You gave love and joy to my best friend. You taught lessons to her children in ways that no human could. You were an important part of the household most dear to my own. You are loved and you will be missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment