Friday, December 31, 2021

2022 The Year of Minimalism

And by minimalism do I mean I'm going to cull down my possessions to only 20. Nope. That is a massive goal I could, in no way, accomplish. 

However, I am going to embrace one of the basic philosophies of minimalism: Less, but better. 

There are a lot of people who take minimalism into more aspects of their lives besides just their possessions. They use it as a guide to the people they let in their lives or the level of information they allow themselves to ingest. They use it as a way to set reasonable progress for themselves. 

And the thing is, as I said in yesterday's post (and as anyone will notice as they look around the world), things are rather unstable right now. It just really is NOT the time for big anything. Big projects, big decisions, big spending, big changes.....no. Not until the world looks a little more level. 

So. Here are my minimalist goals. 

1. Use things I have. One of the reasons why things are so cluttered is that have a lot of things I'm just not using. One of my goals for 2022 is to give these things purpose. No buying new hobby supplies. No buying new storage containers. I have plenty of this stuff. We'll find new and better ways to use it.

2. Organize small areas at a time. I managed to organize about two shelves in the utility room this last month. I did it about ten minutes a time over a period of two weeks. It looks pretty good (except for my jacket) and I feel happy when I look at it. The other two shelves I can't work on because my roommate has one already organized and the other one is out of my reach.  I think this is a good pace though. Small organizing steps. 

3. Maintain good habits. Even if I don't build on them, at the very least, maintain the ones I began.

4. Go to therapy. I've started again and my therapist is very good. It's been three years and it's certainly time for me to start again. 

5. Do the things that bring me joy. Read, listen to music, talk to friends, pet the cats, that sort of thing.

I'll be honest here. I am scared of 2022. The last two years have been really chaotic and I think we'd all like for that to stop, please. I'd like a nice, simple year where things just run smoothly and people make progress. There is no way I can control that though. The best I can do is just my small bit of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment