Monday, February 27, 2023

Issues of Balance

Okay. For anyone who is very fat, there are some odd things that happen when you start losing weight. I don't know if this is the case for people who have only a bit of weight to lose, but I guess that it is because, well to be fair I only have lost just a BIT of weight (so far), and given that, this information would still apply.

We navigate through the world with the space we take up in it. Our size dictates how we will interact with the physical world around us. When you're used to a certain weight, a certain size, you grow accustomed to a certain way in which you do things. When you start to lose some of that weight, it can mess with your perception.

For instance, for about three weeks now, it's been weird to drive my car. There was something about the way I held the steering wheel that was throwing me off. I felt like I couldn't get my bearings. 

Today, I had to lower the steering wheel while I was parked. When I started driving again, I didn't remember to adjust it back up. When my roommate pointed this out to me, it was kind of a marvelous thing.

To begin with, it meant I'd lost enough weight to where I could handle the wheel being lower without it touching me. This has never been the case before. But also, and more importantly, lowering the wheel was actually more comfortable for me all the way around. I felt centered in a way I'd not in a while. 

I realized it was because my arm position was stabilized. With the wheel lower, my arms were more in the position they were usually in back when I was fatter. Everything just felt so much more comfortable. 

Now, this isn't just a subtle brag about me losing a little weight. It's an example of the kind of thing you need to remember that will happen when you're altering the shape and size of your body. It isn't just your clothes and your walking that will be different. Everything is going to be different. 

Admittedly that can be a little overwhelming at times. Just remember that you will adjust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment