Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Oddball Yarn

As I've written about a lot, recently I was given some yarn by a friend. Some of it I loved and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Now, she didn't purchase this yarn herself so I know this won't offend her. Some of the rest of it was kind of ugly and I had no idea at all what would become of it.

In the end, I decided all of  the oddball yarn would go into a blanket for me. Blanket for me doesn't have to look like anything that great, as I am mostly interested in using the making of it for practice and the actuality of it for warmth.

Last night, I decided I would start adding what I considered to be the ugliest of the oddball yarns. When I pulled it out of the box the first time, but of us looked at it and made noises of dismay. It was a truly unfortunate color that I would never use in anything . . . other than this blanket.

The thing is, when I started working with it, I found that it knits beautifully. All the little details of my work are really clear. Everything is in nice rows. The yarn responds well to the sticks and to what I'm trying to do with it. It honestly makes me look like a better knitter than I am.

Before I started with this yarn, I kind of dreaded the time I'd have to work with it. Instead, it's become a real joy. I've actually stopped the post twice to work on the blanket just a little bit. That's how much I'm loving this.

So again, to my friend who gifted me with this box of goodies, thank you! Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment