Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 Favs: Episodic Addition

It seems like I spent most of the year complaining about things. I'll be honest; 2017 has not been a good year for me. I lost two cats. I've been in a lot of pain.  I was really scared a couple of times. I cried a lot.

However, there have been a lot of good things too! I thought I would list some of my favorite things of the year, as a way to document them, but also as a way to remind everyone that I wasn't just a sour sassy all year long.

I'm starting with things that come in episodes. I said episodic stuff because I guess some of it can't be called television anymore because I don't watch it on television. This has been a mixed bag for the things I watch. Some shows really sucked and I didn't finish them, like Project Runway, Supergirl, and, worst of all, American Horror Story. Other shows I watched all the way through, but I wasn't that happy with them, like Game of Thrones and FaceOff. I'm hoping with most of these it's just a matter of them having an offseason. Anyway, on to the good things.

BEST OF 2017

Favorite Continuing TV show: RuPaul's Drag Race. I love RPDR so much. People talk about it being the best show on TV and it really is. Rupaul takes all the best elements of reality competitions and adds a kind of variety show element to it. It just makes me so happy. This season had drama and fan songs and one amazing finale. I adore this show.

Favorite New Show: Legion. Legion branched off in a different direction from the comics and became this astoundingly surreal masterpiece. I loved the first season so much. There are scenes from it that I watch over and over again because they're just SO well done.

Favorite Youtube show: Movie Bitches. When you get a sarcastic gay man and a sarcastic straight woman together, get them drunk off wine, and let them talk about movies, drag queens, and various other topics, how could it not be just grand?

Favorite season of a show: Bojack Horseman. I think this is always the case since this show started. Bojack is probably the best show out there where ideas about Depression, failure, making mistakes, figuring out how to live with yourself, and finding reasons to live are concerned. This season also tackled miscarriage and dementia and handled both is very realistic and insightful ways.

Favorite Netflix show: Again, this is Bojack, for all the reasons I listed above. And also for the music.

Biggest Pleasant Surprise Show: Riverdale. I guess this one could be on my guilty pleasure list too, but it's honestly too good for that. Riverdale, which is what happens when you take the Archie Gang and CandyWarp them, is really a great show. The mystery sustains well. The drama is dire. The town is full of secrets and darkness. And, best of all, Betty and Jughead. Betty and Jughead are really, really the best.

Favorite Guilty Pleasure: Hey Qween's sideshow called Hot T. I could technically say all of Hey Qween, but I think the main two shows, Hey Qween and Look at Huh, are actually pretty damned good shows. Hot T, however, is MEANT to be nothing more than tons of gossip. I don't even care about the people they gossip about, I just love the way they do it. After the cats died, I would watch episode after episode of Hot T and laugh my ass off. It helped me to cope and what better use is there for a guilty pleasure?

Anyway, those are my fav shows for the year. I'll talk more about other favs tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment