Thursday, December 21, 2017

Blood and Fire

As a rule, I've avoided video games where I had to interact with other humans. I do better with games when I can just be my own self and not deal with people at all. And yet, I now find myself not only involved in a game with people but also leading the Guild. It isn't something I expected to do or even asked to do, but here we are. And you know what? I actually enjoy it.

A lot of that has to do with how narratives play out in my head. Our Guild has an enemy guild that we fight every day for control of the city (which equals a buff on experience and funding gains, starting at 10% and increasing every day that you keep power). As much as I thought I would hate this part of the game, it's actually my favorite part. It's what keeps the game the most interesting because it forces a gameplay evolution.

For a while, things between the rival guild leader and me stayed pretty even. He had the stronger position (he was the first person on the server and got massive bonuses for it to where almost everyone in my guild started a week or so later), but I had the stronger guild. My people were older, more seasoned game players. We know how to pace ourselves and how to work together. He had more money involved. Some people in my guild have forked over some cash, but usually, no more than one would pay for a pizza. He has some people who could have bought a decent used car for the amount of money they've poured into the game. Again, this gives him an advantage because more actual money means better resources. Even still, we were tossing power back and forth almost every night.

When we merged with two other servers, my side did not get even ONE of the advantaged First Players. Not one. I did, however, get some very good players who are sane and easy to deal with. A lot of them joined our guild. Some haven't and sort of float in their own little guilds off to the side. No one is really sure what to make of them. The enemy guild now had a band of high power players who were willing to fork over a lot of money to win. A lot of them are also annoying jerks. They make it easy to enjoy fighting them every day.

Even still, we held our own. The win for Guild Battle was usually going back and forth. However, over the last week or so, they've spent more and more. Winning was getting harder. For the last three days, we lost. I mean, it's a Facebook game, but it was still vexing me. The worst part was the biggest, most annoying of them all now had an ability that was almost impossible to beat. Everyone kept dying in the battle against him.

And why was that happening and what did I do? I'll talk about that tomorrow, including some fangirling over Julius Caesar. To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment