Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Le Théâtre du Grand-Guignol

I think one of the most harrowing stories I ever heard was the closing of the Grand Guignol. It was a playhouse in France that specialized in horror. They would show stories of vampires and monsters, villains and thrilling, yet deadly situations.

However, after WWII, things changed. People stopped going. And even though the theater lasted into the '60s, things had changed. People went to see plays here because they thought it showed horror no one would ever really do, not anymore. But after all that happened during the war, people knew humans were still capable of every imaginable atrocity.

In the wake of everything that is happening on the US border, I just don't feel comfortable posting about my music stuff on FB. Things were bad for me, but I still had so much more than what these people have. I had comfort. I had my freedom. I had music. I had my friends and family.

I'm not saying my story isn't important or that it doesn't have universal appeal. It does, as all human stories do. But right now, I'm too heartsick to really focus on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment