Monday, June 18, 2018

Project of Influence Album 26

The Album: Transformer Lou Reed

The Story: I think my mom had this album at one time, but when I was little, it didn't cement into my mind the way it would when I was in college. Transformer was in Brian's collection of albums, along with basically everything else done by Velvet Underground, Andy Warhol, and anyone associated with him. I would say that Brian would have been happy in the Factory, but he was really antiseptic and had a thing against random loud people, so I have my doubts.

I love Lou Reed because he was so casually honest about things. "Oh, I'mma do a song about what it's like to wait for my dealer." "Oh, I'mma do a song about what it's like to do smack." It was the musical version of what Warhol was doing with Pop Art. Taking the idea of 'everyday objects' used in Still Life, but changing what is allowable to be 'everyday objects.' Slice of Life, but in a more subversive way.

If you're wondering why I started this by talking about Warhol and referencing two songs from Velvet Underground, these elements of Reed's past tied very heavily into the making of Transformer. Warhol suggested he write "Vicious" and was the subject of "Andy's Chest." Several of the songs on the album were first performed with Velvet Underground but didn't end up on their albums. Still, it can be assumed the rest of the band influenced them.

Speaking of influence, David Bowie produced this album and it was arranged by Mick Ronson. Ronson also played piano, recorder, did all the string arrangements, and of course, lead guitar on the album.

This is actually one of my favorite albums of all time, and I think all of the stuff listed above is why. Transformer is a very collective effort. I love the idea of people sitting around, playing bits of music, discussing their thought process, making suggestions, experimenting, and really being in sync with one another as they create something.

Thank you to: everyone who inspires others to be creative.

The Lesson Learned: We all have this imaginary cup of energy and creativity. Everything in our lives (people, activities, thoughts, hobbies) either refill this cup or drain it. Take an assessment of your life and figure out what is draining you and what is filling you, then take steps to get as far away from the things that drain you as possible.

Now, this isn't always an easy option. Sometimes the things that drain you are the job you have to keep or people who depend on you (kids, elderly parents, etc). In those cases, take steps to find ways to fill your cup outside of them and as much as possible, take what measure you can to protect yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment