Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Floor

The carpet in my bedroom is probably 30 years old. It's light blue. It's awful. It's sitting on top of an even uglier, older, worse carpet. The floor underneath that probably needs to be shored up because it makes a lot of creaking noises. I can't afford to fix any of it.

This is what I could do though. I've been vacuuming the carpet on the reg. It's getting better. I mean, I still pick up a ton of stuff from it, but that's to be expected. Today, I tackled the stains.

Like I said, it's very old. It's had a lot of foot traffic AND I have cats. Cats can get anything stained up. I've been in such a hopeless place about the house for so long that I didn't bother trying to make the carpet better. I just looked at it and sighed.

Today, my roommate and I worked on those stains. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was exhausting. We certainly did not remove all of them. We got some of them, however, and maybe a couple of repeated treatments will deal with the rest of them.

This process kind of wrecked me. I thought I could just sit on my chair and bend down to do the cleaning, but I ended up having to kind of squat over my chair and lower myself even more to reach them. It hurt. It was exhausting. My body is probably going to make me pay for that tomorrow.

It's fine though. This needs to be done and it will make the harmony in my room even better.

I'm sure some people are horrified by this post. How could you let your room get all stained up like that? How come you didn't clean that already? Why are you acting like such a simple act of maintaining your living space is an accomplishment?

If you feel that way, I'm glad you have the physical and emotional health to clean regularly. I haven't had that. I'm slowly trying to find my own way toward that. And there are a lot of people who aren't doing that kind of cleaning either, for a host of reasons.

Every removed stain, even if it's just one at a time, even if it takes you months, is progress. Just keep moving toward the mountain. Eventually, we'll all get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment