Sunday, May 3, 2020

Mental Health in the Time of Corona

I won't speak to everyone's mental health, though I've read several things about how hard this is on people. Some people have compared our reaction to the pandemic to the grieving, and if that is the case, a lot of people seem to be in either denial or anger right now. I think a lot of other people are stuck in bargaining. Others are stuck in fear. Those who have reached the state of acceptance seem to have reached it in the most exhausted and nihilistic way possible.

I was telling someone tonight one of the parts of the zombie movie that they clearly gloss over is the moment when people reach a moment of clarity and despair when they just walk out into the streets and let the zombies take them. Exhaustion is a big part of this.

Hmm. It seems I am talking in general terms. I'll stop and get back to me. 

Okay, so MY mental health. As we all know, my mental health is never the greatest. Fortunately, I realized that a long time ago and have techniques and pills to help me with it. This situation is making things more extreme and sometimes my tactics aren't working. Nevertheless, she persists.

I am trying to keep with routines. I have some small goals I try to meet every day and I do my best to meet them. I am tending to my cat (no choice there as she makes me) and trying my best to stay connected. I am also trying to knowledge my emotions when they show up. I know I harp on that a lot, but it does help. I'm also trying to take a step back and breathe when things start to go sideways. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

I have had some very serious stress dreams. I have had some panic attacks. I have had some bouts of serious anger. I've never hit despair. I'm doing good as far as that is concerned. I'm not in the deep waters, at least not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment