Sunday, May 31, 2020

State of the Nation

I'm writing this early because this is fresh on my mind. I feel very saddened about the state of my nation. I feel like the walls are closing in. I feel like the tyrant is trying to take all the power he can away from the people. Worst of all, I believe certain people will let him do this, because they have such unwarranted and blind faith in him. I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong.

When I was growing up, I thought by the time I was in my 40s, approaching my 50s, I would see a more open US, a freer US, a more embracing and tolerant US. Sadly, that is not the case.

Instead, we're less open, less tolerant, and possess a more narrow sense of freedom. People hate you just because you're you. People hate you because what they assume you to be. Say the wrong thing, show the wrong bit of empathy, and even the people on your side will turn against you.

This is not the way to sustain a nation. This is not the way to sustain anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment