Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Peer Pressure

I have, more than once, quit games due to peer pressure. There is this problem with games where guildmembers will try to guilt you into getting VIP levels so the guild is stronger. They can get really awful about it. As a result, I no longer play games with guilds. I've just watched that happen too many times.

Right now in our time of crisis, there seems to be another level to this. Some people are escaping into their games and want their friends there too. They don't quite realize that this doesn't work for everyone. While some people find games relaxing, other people start to feel tense if they play for too long. The game starts to just be The Grind.

Recently a friend had to step away from her game because her friends were pressuring her to play all the time. It was eating away at her and when she tried to explain it to them, they attacked. She lost friends because she couldn't devote ALL of her time to them.

I have policies where games are concerned. I don't spend money on loot boxes. I don't play when I don't want to play. I quit when I get bored. I quit when it's no longer fun. Games are supposed to be a fun distraction. When the game stops being that, walk away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment