Saturday, June 26, 2021

A Difficult Talk

Today my roommate and I had the difficult talk that one has to have when one has pets. Tinkerbell is getting on in age and while she is not sick or really in pain or confusion yet, we know it will eventually be here. With each year, that eventuality is closer.

I think it's important to have these talks before a pet gets ill. I think it's important to start preparing yourself for the reality of the various ways this may happen. In the years we've lived together, we've had 7 cats (not all at once) and four of the five we've lost had to be taken to the vet. Two were emergencies where we didn't return home with the kitty. Two were scheduled appointments where we knew we would not be leaving with the kitty. One kitty passed away at home, with his kitty sister by his side to send him off.

Of the two that remain, Millie is young and will be with us (hopefully) for a long time. With Tink, the time is nearing. It isn't right now though, so I'm going to make the most of this gift while I still have her in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment