Saturday, June 19, 2021

Legacy of Survival

Today I watched the season-ending of both Drag Race Down Under and the second season of Legendary. I found myself teary-eyed over both. I won't spoil things here, but both wins were very deserved and very emotional. 

Legendary is about Ballroom culture and of course, Drag Race finds its roots in Ball culture as well. I know that a lot of people have complicated feelings about both shows, but this is my thought on it.

People go on these shows to showcase their art. They do so much more than that. They showcase their souls.  They show everyone the beauty of who they are and what they can do. It entertains, yes, but it also gives people so much hope. 

From listening to people talk about the origins of the Ball scene, this was always the intention. Come to the Ball and showcase who you are. Celebrate your beauty, your grace, your strength. Use this as a way to survive, as a reason to hope. 

I know that people sometimes worry that drag has gone too mainstream. Then again, now drag is reaching a greater number of folks with all of its beauty and wit and glory. It's helping to keep more people happy, hopeful, and alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment