Saturday, May 25, 2013

Much Curmudgeonliness

The house next door continues to be empty and I continue to be nervous. Every few days, various groups of undesirable people show up to look at the house. I somehow manage to see (or hear) them every time, and get a deep gut wrenching feeling of foreboding. It's almost like the universe took my list of 'things I don't want in a neighbor' and decided to be a real asshole.

For instance, the other day, we saw college boys looking at the house. College boys! Okay, that sounds just awful. College boys. This means loud music, lour parties, loud random sounds of 'whooo!' being called out at all hours of the day, and cars full of speakers that vibrate the whole street. I love music and you know I do, but dammit, I have headphones, just like the gods intended. I don't have to announce my music to the whole world. Most of the time with college boys, this idea just doesn't sink into their brains. They drive past your house and all the windows rattle. I do NOT need that in my life.

Today, people were over there working on the house and they had a whole gaggle of children with them. There were at least four and they made enough noise for possibly 37. For hours, they screamed and yelled at each other, brayed at the adults, and ran up and down the streets. As much as I don't want to deal with college boys, I really don't want to deal with more children. More children means more yelling and babbling and street ball. It also means that in four or five years, I will STILL have to deal with all the loud cars and parties and whooing because these kids will grow INTO those college boys.

Children are never content just to leave you alone either. They're always knocking on the door, trying to get you to buy stuff. "Can you buy this from my school?" "Can you buy this so I can go to band camp?" "Can you buy this so I can get a new tooth?" Listen kids, unless it's candy, I'm not buyin anything. And even then, I'm probably not. I hate it when people come to my door to bug me for stuff. Coming to my door will never get me to buy anything, vote for anything, or convert to your religion. Ever. Go away.

So yeah, this has been my week. A steady stream of potential neighbors that I don't want. It's either been people with loud and mostly unsupervised children or loud and certainly unsupervised college boys. Dammit! Why can't I get the neighbor I want? Just some nice, quiet, childless person who minds their own business, has a silent car, and owns headphones! Is that so much to ask? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment