Thursday, August 17, 2017

August Box Eye Items

My Sephora box was really full this time! Normally I receive five items plus a scent. This time one of the items was doubled, as was the scent. This was a neat surprise and really pleased the Capricorn in me.

One of the benefits of having these new (and out of my usual budget) makeup items is that I'm starting to understand why my face can't tolerate certain products. If you asked before, I would say I was allergic to mascara, but I've handled the two from my boxes just fine. I think the issue is that I'm allergic to something normally put into most cheaper versions of the product and not in these.

The mascara that came in this month's box was doubled. One side was CLINIQUE High Impact Mascara (18$) and the other side was CLINIQUE Lash Building Primer (17$). What I received as a sample was a double-sided deal with the mascara on one end and the primer on the other. The primer serves two purposes. The first is that it adds a conditioner to the lashes and helps to keep the mascara on longer. From my perspective, it did this fairly well. I was pleased with it. It coats onto the lash clearish to white. The mascara is designed to do what mascara does. I will say this one is very pigmented and made my lashes look pretty glam. Because these are Clinique products, they're safe for anyone with contacts and allergies. They're also scent free and I LOVED that. Overall, I was pleased with this sample.

Would I buy these? The thing is, I'm figuring out if I plan on wearing mascara, I would need to purchase something at this price point. Scent free and easy on my eyes is the only way I'd be able to function.

I received another lash product as well, the Too Faced Mascara Melt Off Cleansing Oil. This product costs 17$. I have to confess. I have never used mascara cleansing oil. I always just washed my mascara off like I did everything else. I know cleansing oils aren't a new thing because I remember my mom having one when I was little. I remember opening the container and being confused by how the brush looked. I just thought it was some weird other mascara.

She never explained it to me because Mom had a weird relationship with makeup. Every woman in my family did. Makeup was treated as something almost forbidden, almost on the level with dirty magazines. I literally would sit behind the hedges with a friend and experiment with eyeshadows with a friend. We HID this eyeshadow under the leaves like it was our smack gear or something! People! Makeup is PAINT. It is a tool, like a knitting needle or a tube of oil paint. Don't make your kids uncomfortable about art!

Anyway, back to the melting oil, I am very pleased with it. I'm one of those people who always have raccoon eyes after wearing mascara and when I used this, that didn't happen. Some people were saying they didn't like that you wait a full minute before removal and that you still have to wipe it with something else to get the stuff off. To me, the point was that it comes off easier. Now would I buy this? That is a lot of money for a uni-tasking product when you can accomplish it with other things. On the other hand, if I were wearing an intense, hard to get off mascara every day, it might be a worthwhile investment.

As I said above, the mascara (and related eye products) have been interesting for me. I am learning a lot about my eyes and what I need for them, which means I'm accomplishing one of the primary missions of this Sephora experiment. Tomorrow we'll talk about skin and hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment