Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Survival from the Underground

If you hit the Dark Place, this is a good little reminder for how to semi-function. The comment about neurotypicals was harsh, but I do get the frustration. When you're depressed or otherwise non-functioning, people's chipper ideas can really grate on the nerves.

I understand for people who have never been at rock bottom, it's difficult to understand some of this. "I can't get out of bed." "I can't prepare a meal." "I can't bathe." For someone who hasn't been there, this seems lazy or just impossible. It isn't. There are places one can reach, of mental, emotional, or physical exhaustion, where even moving one foot in front of the other is almost impossible.

When I was in bloodhell a few years back, showering was this completely dreaded experience for me. for one thing, I was terrified I was going to bleed all over everything and not have the strength to clean it up but still HAVE to clean it up and still HAVE to continue the shower. I was also scared that I would slip or fall because I was so dizzy and so weak. Thankfully, neither of these things happen (that I remember. I'm still sketchy on a lot of the details of that time), however, I still didn't shower well. Several times I left quite a lot of shampoo in my hair.

Another issue I have when I'm depressed is convincing myself it's OKAY to put on clean clothes. I'll wander around in the same clothes for days because I know if I put on clean ones, it means the ones I was in have to go in the hamper and have to be washed and that seems like such a burden. So yes, when I'm depressed, I literally have to convince myself that I deserve clean clothes just like everyone else.

Anyway, if you're having trouble, the link I posted may help. I especially liked one of the bonus suggestions, about stocking up on supplies on your better days. That way you're prepared on the days when things are horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment