Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Good Kind of Rejection

Okay, so this is a weird thing. One of the neighbors told us today that almost every car in the neighborhood had been broken into. They asked about ours and we knew they were fine. After he left, we discussed how odd it was that we were passed over (hah!) and no one else was. We came up with several theories for this.

1. We just honestly look too poor to rob. This is a possibility, but lots of people in our area look poor. Our stuff isn't any more or less trashy than everyone else's place. I doubt it's this.

2. We look scarier than everyone else in the neighborhood. My roommate is an adult male under retirement age and I look like I'd kill you if I fell on you. This could certainly make people think twice about robbing us. I also have a large scar on my arm that they might assume I got in prison. This is certainly the reason I WISH were true.

3. Fire Ants. We fight an almost constant battle with fire ants. It's possible the would-be thief walked into our yard and found himself stung by tons of evil little ants. He could have also gotten sprayed by the local skunk or frightened by the local giant possum. Again, I would like for this one to be true, but the fact is, if an ant pile was this close to either of the vehicles, my roommate would have seen it by now.

4. We stay up really late. This is probably the most likely reason. We have lights on well past one on most nights. This is probably the most likely reason we weren't hit. Any robber who thinks you're still awake is going to opt for the easier target. In this case, our night owlism is working to our advantage.

In any case, we're making sure to keep the doors locked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment