Thursday, January 3, 2019

Protection

The first of the year seems to be about maintenance for us. Today we had the breaks fixed on the van and paid some bills. Tomorrow we'll be shopping. The weather is gray on gray and it's making me sleepy. I napped in my chair today with a very happy cat sleeping on my lap. It was so nice.

I'm still maintaining good mental chemicals. I think this is because I've been editing what I'll see on FB. People who just post about drama, politics, or negativity are being snoozed. People who post about their lives, interests, crafts, and other positive things are kept.

I don't feel bad about this. People have the right to post what they want. I also have the right to not have to deal with it. I'm not stopping them, but I'm doing my best not to let them affect me.

When I was a kid, I had no choice in this matter. My grandmother and mother were always negative and wanted to just bombard you with their poison. Even when I felt awful already, I couldn't stop them. Trying to even say something as simple as "I don't want to talk about that" would be met with A LOT of anger. Trying to say "I'm not in the mood to discuss with you" would be cause for hours of drama. And people never seem to get the hint that you just want them to shut up.

So as an adult, I'm doing my best to keep away from that. It's not so bad when I'm mentally and emotionally fine, but in times like this, it's just not happening. Needless to say, I now see a lot of posts about yarn projects and people's meals. I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment