Friday, September 3, 2021

Compassion

In my anger last night, I neglected to talk about what I see as truly the most heinous part of the Texas abortion law. It criminalizes compassion. 

Because it is now illegal to help a woman in any way when she has an abortion, she can't have someone go with her. She can't have someone drive her to the clinic. She can't have someone sit with her while she waits or talk to her before it happens. She can't have anyone drive her home.

After a medical procedure, she can't have anyone drive her home.

The people who pushed all this claim to be Christian. The Bible says nothing directly about abortion. People will argue with me at this point that they view it as murder and the Bible says a lot about murder. 

Well. Okay. Fine. 

However....

Baptists (at least they used to) believe that no sin was greater than any other sin. When I was a kid, I was taught that our greatest witness to others was showing compassion to everyone, all sinners, our enemies, those who had wronged us. Everyone. 

I think criminalizing compassion does a lot more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment