Sunday, February 12, 2012

True and Lasting Affection

Ahh, love.  This is the time of year when we celebrate love. Wait, no. This is the time of year when almost everyone gets kind of twisty about love and relationships and chocolate and materialism an all of that. Somehow, we tend to forget the LOVE part of it all. I won't though. I'm gonna talk about the things I love. Yes, I do mean things. Last year, one of my bestest friends wrote a blog post about showing love to the things that make your life happy.  That post inspired this one.

I love Netflix.  I know a lot of people have issues with it, but I think they maybe have some short term memory issues.  I don't think they remember the soulsucking hours spent in video stores, looking hopelessly through the same selections as some snarky, bitter employee eyed you with sarcastic detachment and explained, yet again, that the movie about the gay rock star you wanted would not be in this week. Or ever. I think people also forget the hell of having things due by the next morning, the pain of late fees.

Netflix took all of that away! No more bad selection. No more late fees. No more human contact with assholes who work in video stores.  No more having to be selective about what you rent. Actually, to me that last part is the best thing about Netflix. You've already PAID for the service. You might as well rent every last damned thing you've even remotely wanted to see . . .even that documentary about frogs.

I love my CPAP. My CPAP keeps me breathing at night, which means not only do I get truly rested, but I also am safer from death.  See, people with sleep apnea have a tendency to just...well, suffocate in their sleep.  Mind you, I DO wish to die in my sleep some day, just not any time soon.

The best part of having the CPAP though, as I have mentioned before, is that I got so much of my life back.  When you're sleep deprived, you have so much trouble staying awake. I would fall asleep every day for hours and hours. Of course, it was never a deep or restful sleep, which just made it all the most frustrating.  To me, sleep was like a hunger. I needed it. I craved it like I was starving. I would fantasize about being able to sleep.

Once I got the CPAP, that fantasy became my everyday.  I could sleep again. I actually entered deep sleep and rested and was able to wake up the next day and function suddenly falling asleep. It was glorious.  It's been about four years now, but I still feel so grateful that this change has happened in my life.

You know, it occurs to me that I've somewhat matured about what I love and feel happiness toward. I realize I just discussed THINGS, however, the qualities I love about these things are quite positive and could translate very well to what I would romantically love about someone.

I love things that improve my life. I love things that solve problems rather than creating new ones. I love things that make major impacts on the quality of the life I have. I love things that aid in my life being better than it once was.  Hmm . . . how very healthy of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment