Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Unexpected Joy via Wikipedia and Memory Loss

I'd been missing the writing of a certain author and I couldn't remember her name. It's one of those things that starts driving you crazy the longer you think about it. It had been years since I read her books. I couldn't remember the names of the characters or the books. Nothing. I just knew I loved her work and needed to reconnect.  I kept in my mind, trying to poor over the details I could remember.

Yesterday, it hit me. Katherine Kerr. Yay! I looked her up on Wikipedia and confirmed it.  I was so happy that I decided to see if one of my other favorite authors had anything about her on Wikipedia. And . . . she did. In fact, I found out the best news ever.

In the years since her first two books, she'd written several more in the series. This series is something I love with all my heart.  It is, truly, my favorite series of all time and it's shaped so much of how I view fiction and what makes it great.  I can not even begin to tell you what a great moment this was for me.  It was like finding hidden treasure or a sibling you didn't know you had. My heart just literally burst with joy . . . and not from the potential heart attach we all know I'll have some day!

I know this is so cliche, but there truly is nothing like loving a book and its characters.  There is nothing like reading something time and time again and discovering new, hidden layers you never saw before.  It's one of the best things about being alive. I read these books when I was in middle school and they've been part of me ever since.

So this is what February gave to me at the end. Love. Surprise and renewed love for something that has made me happy for most of my life. And it had nothing to do with chocolate, flowers, or stickiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment