Saturday, August 25, 2012

End of Summer and the End of Crazytime

Rhiannon escaped from the house a few years ago. Well, actually the theory is that she fell out of the backdoor and got miserably lost. We found her a couple of days later. She's never quite been the same.

Okay, she was never a totally sane cat. She's always had her issues. She has lots of quirks.  For instance, she sits on the litter box.  Not in it, thank heaven, but on top of it.  We have no idea how she can handle the smell. She also refuses to stick her tongue in the water bowl.  She'll scoop water with her front paw and take it to her mouth.  This usually makes quite a mess.

Anyway, during the summer, Rhiannon disappears. She goes under my bed and only comes out to tend to her basic kitty needs and when I vacuum under there. Aside from this, she is under there. We suppose her logic is that she is hiding from summer. It doesn't work that well, as under my bed is hot.  Then again, one of the other cats tries to sit on us when he's hot.  We suspect he confuses his 'sit on humans and get cooler' with the 'sit on humans and get warm' tactic that works during the winter.

There are nights when she will come out from under the bed and try to be social.  She'll stand in my doorway and look at us.  She might meow a couple of times or take a few steps towards us.  However, if we pay too much attention to her, she runs back under the bed.

I think the cool thing about cats is even at their most crazy, they're still very adorable. It's so cute to watch how she'll give us the 'not all there' eyes and make strange little barking sounds at us. Although, I have to admit, it's not that fun when she's in crazymode and we have to give her a bath or deal with fleas. She urinates when she panics and has on more than one occasion clawed me quite badly.

It's starting to cool down though, which means there will soon be an end to the crazy.  Once she has decided the hot weather is gone, she always comes out to be more social. In fact, on colder mornings, she's even spent some time sleeping on me. I don't really like being shocked awake by cat claws kneading me, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment