Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Next Step . . . Kinda Literally

Today I began a new thing with my working out. My roommate bought some concrete pavers for me. They are 1.7 inches high. We put two in a row and them stacked another one on top of each of them. And now, they are there so I can do stairstep exercises. And yes, I know I have steps connected to the house. I could use these for work out purposes. However, all of the stairs and steps connected to the house are precarious and probably not up to code. It's honestly safer if I use the pavers.

I began this today and am pleased to report that I did not fall! I have a lot of trust issues with stairs. I assume this is due to the fact that I have fallen down them before. Actually, more than once. I'm counting every day that I don't fall as a victory.  I have been told that doing stairsteps helps to improve your balance and overall grace, so maybe falling won't even be a problem.

I was a little surprised and pleased that I could do as much as I did. Okay, I only did six minutes' worth, but that was still more than anticipated. I assume a lot of this has to do with the fact that I've been walking for a while now and have more strength in my legs than I assumed I would.

This is a huge bit of progress for me. I have the ball and the things I do inside, but they're mostly sitting down.  I walk, but not for very long. This is standing up, intense movement, and difficult. It's going to be a true challenge for me. Despite that, I'm fairly hopeful and optimistic about it.  I promise to give reports on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment