Saturday, August 10, 2013

Game of Thrones 30 Day Challenge: Day 18

Day 18: Least Interesting POV

Okay. I love Brienne. I do. She is a wonderful character. It think it's great that she's so brave and strong and honorable. I love what she has inspired in Jaime. I love that she was friends with Catelyn when she truly needed someone to be friends with her. I love that she's trying very hard to fulfill a mission for a dead woman because she honors her memory that much.

AND . . . I found her POV chapters to be dreadfully boring.

It wasn't that they were uninteresting, exactly. They were interesting. Cool stuff happened. I like Brienne's relationship with Podrick and with fairly much everyone else she meets. In fact, I even love her chapters . . . which is to say, I loved them after I read them a second time, because the first time I read them, they made me want to rip out my hair.

See, this second time through, I enjoyed them because I knew what to expect, or rather, what NOT to expect. I knew that Brienne was just touring the area and seeing how horrible it was. I knew that she would be facing a lot of sadness and devastation during her journey. I let my mind slow down and really enjoy the details of what was happening.

But the first time I read it, it basically came off like this.

I'm Brienne. Of Tarth. I'm tall. And ugly. And teh menz don't like me. And I'm hungry. And Jaime. And Renley. And honor and fightin an stuff. And Jaime. And have you seen a young girl of 3 and ten with long red hair? She is my sister and I am looking for her. And now I will walk over here. Hey. Now I will walk over here. Jaime. 

It drove me CRAZY. Her POV 'voice' just drove me bonkers! I was so annoyed with her. But finally, I got past that and really looked at the meat of the chapters and enjoyed them more. I have to tell you though, it was work.

No comments:

Post a Comment