Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Game of Thrones 30 Day Challenge: Day 21

Day 21: A scene from the book you hope makes it into the show.

There are a lot of scenes that I dread. In some ways, I worry these scenes won't be handled properly and won't have the impact they should. In other ways, I just dread them because I know they will be deeply painful. Even though the Red Wedding was handled differently than it was in the books, seeing it was still very painful. There are deaths that I don't want to see but know I will. There is a lot of hurt in these books.

As for a scene I do hope to see, I really want them to include the scene where Sansa builds a miniature Winterfell out of snow. I love this scene because it's the first time Sansa really reconnects with her childhood home. She's finally escaped King's Landing, though in a way that somewhat puts her out of the frying pan and into the fire, but still, she's free. When she begins to build the snow castle, she is reveling in that freedom, in the reaffirmation of who she is and where she came from. Sansa has been in survival mode for so long that it's wonderful to see her actually spend to some time just doing something for her own enjoyment.

This scene is a real turning point for Sansa. As she builds the castle, a castle we know is, in reality, currently in ruins, we find ourselves having hope that one day her childhood home can and WILL be rebuilt. It's something we want to happen and even people who didn't like Sansa up to this point suddenly realize they love her. They have, after all, suffered with her through three books of hell by this point. We want good things to happen for her.

So yes, I want to see the snow castle be created. I think it's very important for her and for the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment