Saturday, May 13, 2017

Thoughts on Mother's Day

I think I'm going to start carrying my tablet in the backpack I rediscovered. It's in better shape than the bag I'm using now and it's less awkward. I'm not going to put the current bag away yet because this might not work out the way I want it to, but it's worth a trial run. I've missed this backpack. And no, I still have no idea where it came from.

I switched up my pics on Facebook to connect to Mommy Dearest. I respect Mother's Day and respect a lot of mothers, but I still have my own weird feelings about it. It was never an easy holiday for me. My mom and my grandmother weren't the most joyful of companions and certainly not when they were together. Once they died, my connection to Mother's Day was gone. Given that I would literally have to be handed someone's child to raise as my own before I could be a mother, I'm guessing my connection to the holiday is over for good.

You know something else I always hated about Mother's Day? I hated how in church, the preacher would read those verses about being a good woman. It annoyed me because being a mother and being a religiously virtuous woman really have nothing to do with each other. Being a mother involves giving birth at the very least and at the very most being decent and wise to the product of that birthing. This is not some religious holiday. It's just another example of religion trying to co-opt the concept of 'family' when that concept existed completely outside the realms of religion.

Anyway, so I won't be doing anything tomorrow for the holiday. There are no special candy dregs for us to get and nothing fun to do. We have to go shopping, but other than that, it will just be another normal Sunday. I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment