Monday, July 10, 2017

Glimpses

I realize this is blurry and has rust on it, but it's a very old photo so that isn't surprising. I was going through a box of random crap and found this picture in a Christmas ornament frame. This is a picture of me and Cat Unknown from when I was clearly under two. I have no idea why this is a black and white photo. I may be old, but I know they had color photographs in the 1970s.

I think it's really neat that Unknown Cat and I get along. I wouldn't think the cat would let me touch him/her like that unless she/he liked me. I think it's adorable how engaged I am with this animal and I can only imagine the joy I probably felt. I also think my little feet are adorable.

However, to me, the best part about this picture is what is in the background.  Those are the windows from my grandmother's kitchen. When I was little, those windows and everything else connected to that house added up to my greatest source of joy and comfort.  It was where I was the happiest. It was where I was the safest. I can almost imagine her looking out of those windows to check on me. Most of the time, even at a very young age, I was left to wander around on my own, but the occasional look was thrown in my direction to make sure I wasn't about to touch the electric fence or something. I mean, I still touched it, but only that once.

I've not seen those windows in over 30 years. My grandparents moved from the area and you really couldn't see them from the road. Now the house has been demolished and that view is gone forever. With this in mind, I'm glad I found the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment