Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Why Not?

Amanda Palmer wrote that Neil Gaiman once told her that you can't ask for something if you can't imagine that something. This is very true and I believe it's one of the reasons there always seems to be this effort to limit people's imaginations.

I think one of the most potent questions anyone can ask is "Why not?" I honestly believe that is what started this whole America thing. People believed they couldn't defy the king and some other people asked: "Why not?" People thought they couldn't win a war against the might of the English Empire and some other people asked: "Why not?"

This happens every day. People say fat people can't be beautiful, and suddenly you have fat people (and others) challenging that idea. People say men can't be amazing, sensitive stay at home parents but there are men who are challenging that. People say we're incapable of change and yet some people strive to alter their destructive behaviors. If there is a concept that people believe is finite, why not challenge it, just to see if you can?

I live in my head a lot. I'm many people in my mind, some of them even spill out into the real world because I opt to let them interact with others. Why limit me to one person? This has, many times, saved me, comforted me, and healed me. If there is something you want to do, do it. If there is something you want to imagine to be possible, let your mind explore that idea. Keep pushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment