Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Brother's Day

My mother's brother went to one of those schools that was so small that they do a collective reunion every year. For the last several years, he's gone to the reunion, making a whole mini-vacation out of it. On Sunday before he would go home, he would spend the day with me. This Sunday, due to when  they would schedule the reunion, always fell on Mother's Day. As I no longer have a living mother or grandmother, Mother's Day basically became Mother's Brother's Day for me.

This year, however, he wasn't able to come down. I have to say, I missed him. Since my grandmother died, this has been our tradition. I liked it because I got to have this some time with the person who is the last remaining link to the older generation of my mom's side of the family. He's really all I have left of people who are older than me . .  . at least in the immediate family.

I sent him a message today, telling him how much I missed him. I know he felt the same way. I don't know if he'll get to come next year, but I really hope he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment