Sunday, May 17, 2015

Small Bits of Progress

I was folding towels today and my roommate remarked how it seemed to go even faster than usual. It did, and that was even with me taking a bit of a break to look at something. I also had to snip a lot of loose bits. Some of the towels are falling apart.

This was interesting because a year ago today, I folded towels for the first time since the lipoma surgery. Even then, with staples still in my arm, I could feel the difference. It was so very freeing for me. I am left with a very massive scar and still have some nerve pain from time to time, but I know that surgery was for the best. It greatly improved the quality of my life.

I'm still very fat. Compared to most people, I'm vast when it comes to my fatness and losing that may very well take years of my life. However, one of the things I've learned is that even a little improvement is better than none. A small measure of mobility is still better than having none. A pound lost, even when  you have to lose hundreds, is still a pound lost.

This is a philosophy I try to apply to all aspects of my life. It is a way of being grateful for what I have, even when those things seem small in comparison to what I might want. I have a roof over my head. I have food to eat. I have shoes to wear. I am in a position to where no one can harm me. I have a bed to sleep in and ways to stay more or less comfortable. I am deeply, deeply grateful for all of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment