Monday, April 18, 2016

A Moment of Respect

I had a doctor's appointment at Way Too Early this morning and I don't think I've quite recovered from it. There is just something about going to that office that drains me and not just the fact that they take blood from my body.

I have to say I am very happy about one thing though. Two appointments ago, I had to give a urine sample (not for drugs). They handed me the usual cup. I'm a woman and not that limber and I think the amount I got into that cup was like six drops. It was enough to do the test, but still. So last time when I went, I mentioned to her that it wasn't the easiest thing for me to do.

Today, she mentioned to me that she requested toilet hats because they are so much easier for women (and anyone who has mobility issues) to use when any kind of sample needs to be taken. She assured me that any time we needed a sample, she would remind the lab tech to give me that instead of a cup.

This is a little thing, a small request, but one that really made me feel very positive about the relationship I can build with this woman. She not only listened to the problem but took steps to improve the situation. She also remembered it was something I'd mentioned three months ago and took the time to show something had been done.  It made me feel really good, and that's kind of a rare feeling where medical situations are concerned.

If for no other reason, I will consider this a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment