Sunday, April 17, 2016

Saturday Assorted Musings

Game of Thrones starts in about a week. I'm cautiously excited about it. Last season was very uneven. I don't think that many of the storylines were all that successful, though some of the episodes were outstanding. This isn't about sticking strictly to the books. I'm fine when shows deviate from the source material because sometimes things that work in books don't work in a visual medium.

I think Magicians is a good example of this. The show seems to be tying elements from the first and second books together in ways that allow for a more coherent narrative. I think Shanarra did this well too. It wasn't THE BEST show I've ever seen, but the plotline was consistent through the whole season. Other than one incomprehensible bastard, I understood everyone's motivation and felt their various plots came to satisfying conclusions.

I think one of the most important elements of good writing involves having a clear understanding of your characters' motivations and writing in a way that stays faithful to this. It's important not to overstate the character's motivations. "I'm Bob and I'm doing these things I do because I need to prove myself." No, Bob never has to STATE his motivation. Just keep it in mind when you create actions and reactions for Bob. People will be able to figure him out if you stay true to his motives.

This isn't to say that motivation can't change. For instance, a character motivated by fear and avoiding situations where they have to face that fear may eventually find a way to make peace with their fear. Now their motivation can be something new. Changing motivation is often a lengthy process and usually involved quite a lot of self-discovery or practice.

Speaking of practice, I made more headway on the blanket. Progress is always a nice thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment