Saturday, April 9, 2016

One of the Moirai

I guess if anything has improved about my knitting, it's my ability to stay consistent with my size. I still have the same number on every row, which is a very good thing. The first baby blanket I ever made was so uneven. I kept adding stitches and having to reduce, then taking too many away and having to add back. It was a mess.

This blanket is even. That's the plan for it, really. It's even, neutral, and simple. It's not supposed to be some complex beautiful thing that never gets used. I want it to be something that is comforting and used often. I guess it helps that my skillset is really pretty basic too.

Do I feel bad that after all these years my knitting abilities are still so limited? Honestly? No, no I don't. I had such a mental block about knitting for so long that I'm actually just very happy I can accomplish anything with these needles. Sure my skill level is 'can slowly do what a machine could do in minutes,' but it's better than the 'gets headache watching instructional videos' level that it was a few years ago.

The Moirai were supposed to weave our fates. The Maiden spun, the Mother wove, and the Crone cut the thread. I guess if I were one of the Moirai, I'd be this half-skilled chick who occasionally filled in for the mother. Would people get fancy, frilly lives out of me? No, they wouldn't. Instead, they would get really even, simple lives full of comfort and stability. That honestly wouldn't be a bad thing for most people. I'm sure Achilles would have hated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment